Aldeburgh Town Council has a vacancy for a full-time Deputy Clerk including some evening work (flexibility is required), who can work with our Town Clerk/Responsible Financial Officer to support the Town Council in the efficient running of the day-to-day business and fully engage with residents, businesses, visitors and other agencies.
As well as being an enthusiastic, confident and calm individual, we are looking for someone who:
• is an accurate record keeper, well organised and capable of meeting deadlines
• has excellent people skills, including the ability to work with Councillors, members of the public and third-party organisations
• is proficient with the use of email, Microsoft Word, Excel and Office 365 applications
• is proficient in managing a website and use of social media accounts
• has flexibility to attend meetings, consultations, information briefings and public forums, including those scheduled for evening time
• relishes the challenge of organising civic events and taking an active role in the life of Aldeburgh’s community
• has the ability to support and deputise for the Clerk when required
• will undertake all other duties as may be reasonably required
The job is based in The Moot Hall but allows for some flexibility for working remotely. If not already obtained, the successful candidate would be expected to start working towards obtaining CiLCA (Certificate in Local Council Administration) once they have completed the initial 6-month training period.
The post is 35 hours per week with salary and benefits information provided upon application. CVs, together with a covering letter outlining your interest in this role should be submitted to the Town Clerk firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 21 May 2021 with interviews to be held during the first week of June 2021.
DEPUTY TOWN CLERK – JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Title: Deputy Town Clerk Reports to (line manager): Town Clerk
Accountable to: The Council
The Deputy Town Clerk will assist the Proper Officer (Town Clerk) of the Council in the effective day to day running of Council business, ensuring that ATC meets its statutory responsibilities by the appropriate management of resources and liaison with third-party contractors.
- Reporting directly to the Town Clerk, assist with the effective administration and management of all meetings of the Council, its Committees and Working Parties.
- To work with the Town Clerk, Chairs and Councillors to give sound advice and guidance, which should wherever possible be ‘evidence-based,’ both before and during meetings on points of practice, Standing Orders and Financial Regulations as appropriate, to ensure that all of the Council’s activities are carried out in accordance with legal requirements and taking corrective action where necessary.
- To make a team contribution to Council administration and ensure effectiveness and efficiency of council services at all times and make changes as appropriate.
- To assist with the development and updating of policies as necessary and ensure they are correctly implemented, monitoring them to ensure they achieve the desired result and where appropriate, introduce modifications.
- To assist with the development and management of the Parish Website and Council’s Social Media Presence.